Books about Malmesbury
- Dorothy Barnes: Malmesbury from The Archive Photographs series published by The Chalford Publishing Company Ltd. 0 7524 0177 7.
- John Bowen : The Story of Malmesbury
an authoritative history of the town from the earliest times to 1600,
published locally in 2000. 0-95397 15-0-3.
Read an extract from the book.
- David N. Dumville: Wessex and England from Alfred to Edgar. Published by Boydell & Brewer. 0 85115 308 9.
- Mike Fenton: The Malmesbury Branch published by Wild Swan Publications Ltd. "A railway history which is also a social document and will be of interest to railway enthusiasts, historians and Wiltshire folk." 0 906867 88 6.
- Stan Hudson: A Hill Top Town. This is a personal account of the history of the town written in 1977 when the author was in his 80th year. Available from the Abbey.
- Tony Hunt: Anglo-Norman Medicine:II. Shorter Treatises. Published by Boydell & Brewer. Gives an interesting insight into what conditions would have been like at Malmesbury. 0 85991 523 9.
- Richard Luce: The History of the Abbey and Town of Malmesbury. Published by The Friends of Malmesbury Abbey. An authoritative work by a distinguished amateur local historian who lived from 1867 to 1952.
- Tony McAleavy: Life in a Medieval Abbey. Published by English Heritage.
- John Morris(ed): Domesday Book:Wiltshire. Published by Phillimore & Co. Ltd. Lib. ed. 0 85033 159 5, limp 0 85033 160 9.
- Ben Nilson: Cathedral Shrines of Medieval England. Published by Boydell & Brewer. 0 85115 540 5.
- Rodney Thomson: William of Malmesbury. Published by Boydell & Brewer. "A series of studies that give a vividly detailed understanding of his interests, work habits and outlook." 0 85115 451 4.
- Charles Vernon: Malmesbury Then And Now, a portrait of the town in the years 1000, 1900 and 2000. A limited edition produced by the Malmesbury Civic Trust.
- Bruce W. Watkin: A History of Wiltshire. Published by Phillimore & Co. Ltd. 0 85033 692 9.
- Michael Watson: Curiosities of Wiltshire. Published by SB Publications. "A wideranging popular history .....it's about how people have lived in the county in the past five thousand years." 1 85770 061 9.
- William of Malmesbury's Life of Saint Wulstan, trans. J.H.F.Peile, published by LLanerch Publishers. 1 86143 025 6.
- A Wilson: Castle Combe to Malmesbury from the series Britain in Old Photographs, published by Sutton Publishing Ltd.. 0 7509 0101 2.
In addition The Friends of Malmesbury Abbey have produced a Malmesbury Abbey Popular History Series available from the Abbey Bookshop at £1 each. These include:
- Aldhelm, first Abbot of Malmesbury, first Bishop of Sherborne
- Athelstan, the first king of all England
- Eilmer, Malmesbury's 11th Century flying monk
- William of Malmesbury
- Malmesbury Abbey, the dissolution and William Stumpe
- Translation of letters patent transferring lands and Abbey to William Stumpe dated 1544
We would also like to know about any other books that you think should be included in this list.
Have you thought about publishing your own book? Contact Keyham Books to find out how.